Monday, July 27, 2015

Workshop

I just returned from a workshop with Stanley Bielen at Art New England in Bennington VT. This was my second year studying with him and, once again, I learned alot and felt that I took a forward direction in my painting. There is a lot of talent in his classes which is inspiring as well.  It is so interesting to see how everyone's work develops over a week of intensive painting and how everyone has their own individual thumbprint.

Here are a few of the paintings I did in the workshop:

It is hard to see in this photo, but I started to break up colors nicely in the flower - it is blocks of color which have subtle changes in tone and if I can remember to paint like this, I will be very happy.

I am also now starting with oil underneath and these paintings have much more dimension and luminosity.



In this painting, I really started to break up the image in larger blocks of color and kept my stroke simple, didn't "overpaint". I think it is a successful little painting - a good jumping off point.


On the last day of class I painted zinnias that I picked from my cousin's garden where we were staying in Williamstown, MA. This is the direction I would like to follow - this is more "me" than what I have been painting - more contemporary, graphic - starting to break up the shapes and work in simpler blocks of color, less finicky, less detail, looser with simpler lines. We'll see what happens moving forward but I momentarily found a nice "zone" to work in.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your instructional comments...you are putting into words the direction I also want to take but needed a better understanding as to how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete